Branded Alcohol to Chase My Blues Away

Alcohol and music, like peanut butter and jelly, the two just go together. Sales of alcoholic beverages at live music events can account for 80-90% of the venue’s revenue. The potential revenue that can be generated from alcohol is nearly unlimited because alcohol is often marked up substantially. But most significantly: the artist does not enjoy any of the alcohol revenue generated by the venue due to legal regulation and restriction. However, there is an opportunity for a musician to benefit from the alcohol markups by venturing into the alcohol industry. Many musicians and other celebrities have been taking matters into their own hands by releasing their own brands of alcohol. Look no further than Nick Jonas, Jimmy Buffett, and Luke Bryan for examples of how this can be an extremely profitable move by any musician. So you want in on this revenue stream? Well, let’s get started… 

The Devil Went Down to Georgia – To Find a Distillery

The first step to owning an alcohol brand is to find an establishment to produce the alcohol for you. Most musicians that own their own alcohol brands do not actually manufacture the alcohol. It is very expensive to purchase the equipment and supplies necessary to operate a distillery, not to mention the skills required to develop recipes and safely, reliably distill alcohol. Thus, a well-established distillery capable of taking on the manufacturing process will be necessary. The alcohol can either be manufactured in the U.S. or imported from a foreign country. Most distilleries either have programs to allow for private-label alcohol or are interested in an arrangement like this. It is a win-win for them – they have sold the alcohol before it is made. The best place to start is to contact your local Distiller’s Guild to get some contact information for local distilleries or contact your favorite distillery. Once you have identified your distillery, a contract will ensure they provide the alcohol you want, at the quality you want, at the time you want. The distillery may have a contract like this for you to review and sign, but, if not, have your attorney draw one up for you.

Walk the (Permit) Line

Once you have found a licensed distillery to produce your alcohol, it’s time to get your permits. The alcohol brand will need to hold a Basic Permit from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau, or TTB. There is no cost involved, but it can be a time intensive application process. Once the TTB Basic Permit is granted, the brand can now go to their state alcoholic beverage regulatory agency (“ABC”) for authorization to begin sales in the state. Each state has different requirements and different permits for accomplishing the goal of selling your alcoholic beverage in the state, so it is extremely important to hire an experienced alcoholic beverage attorney to assist with identifying and obtaining the proper permit. By way of example, in Tennessee the permit would most likely be a Non-Manufacturer/Non-Resident License. 

A Boy Named Sue: Naming Your Brand

Once you have the proper permits in place, you will likely need to apply for a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA). The COLA is often required to ensure that the label affixed to the alcohol packaging complies with all government regulations related to labeling and will not mislead consumers. The bottler of the product will oftentimes handle the COLA application process and actually hold the COLA under its TTB permit, but it is always good to understand the process as you design the labels for your product. 

Another extremely important point about naming your product is trademark. A trademark is a brand identifier. If your intention is to sell your product in multiple states, then you are going to want to secure a federal trademark from the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Anyone releasing alcohol brands to the market should have a trademark search and clearance conducted to ensure that the new brand is not infringing on an existing trademark.

If You’ve Got the Money, I’ve Got the Time: Distribution

By now you have signed with a distillery to produce your alcohol, you have your permits, and your brand name and labels are ready to use. Soon your distillery will present you with your first bottle of branded alcohol. So how do you sell it? Unfortunately, this is one of the most complicated questions you can ask. Alcohol manufacture, distribution and retail is one of the most highly regulated industries in the U.S. Everyone from the manufacturer to the retailer must have the proper permits to sell alcohol. Your permit allows you to hold an alcohol brand and conduct sales on a substantially more restricted basis, i.e. to the distributor or wholesaler. Only a licensed wholesaler/distributor can take the alcohol to licensed retail outlets like liquor stores, bars and restaurants. Every state has licensed alcohol distributors that are able to get the product to the various locations your product needs to be, but you will want to take your time finding a distributor. In most states once you sign with them, you are contractually and legally obligated to remain with that distributor in that location for as long as the brand exists and it is nearly impossible to get out of those arrangements. You will also very likely have multiple distributors in each state. It will be very important to have someone manage these relationships for you. Most likely, you will want your brand sold in every venue you perform, but that is ultimately up to the venue to accomplish.

Always on My Mind

So if you are a musician, manager, promoter, record label executive or anyone in between, contact Schaffer Law Firm to learn how to develop an alcohol brand.


Get In touch and

Let's Get Going!

Fill out the form and we will be in touch within 24 business hours.


1604 16th Ave. S
Nashville, TN 37212


    The use of this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.