Schaffer Law Firm successfully represented 312 Pizza Company, an authentic, Chicagostyle restaurant, with all of its legal needs—from concept to opening day. With our help, the restaurant, located in historic Germantown in Nashville, Tenn., opened for business in March 2014.
312 has become a popular local eatery near the new Nashville Sounds baseball stadium offering Chicago-style cuisine, craft beers and unique cocktails. The owners have since opened a second venture and are looking to open a third location in summer 2015.
In the summer of 2014, Staci and Dan Bockman approached Schaffer Law Firm to start a familyowned restaurant with Staci’s parents, Bill and Stormy Wolff, and sister, Kimberly Wolff.
The Bockmans had two goals; to open their restaurant before the new Sounds stadium completed construction, and to be located in the thriving Germantown neighborhood.
Our Legal Strategy
The SLF team outlined a strategy for success that included a comprehensive look at the legal needs for this particular restaurant. As a result, we:
- Conducted a full federal and common law trademark search on the proposed name
- Took over final lease negotiations for the space
- Chose and completed the process for their desired corporate entity
- Obtained a full liquor license and beer permit for the establishment
How We Helped in Detail
- We began our work with 312 Pizza Company by conducting a trademark search on the proposed name, knowing this step could help 312 avoid any potential issues and costs associated with trademark infringements. We found the name was already federally registered by another business. The family agreed to the name “312 Pizza Company”, as an ode to the authentic Chicago style menu they planned on introducing to the already eclectic and thriving Germantown neighborhood.
- Negotiations with the landlord moved along smoothly until execution, when the landlord requested a second round of financial information from the Bockmans. Our team took over from there, ensuring a timely execution of the lease. While construction got underway, we worked to form 312 Pizza Company LLC, securing the business license and state tax numbers. Two months prior to the completion of construction, we began the process of gathering all necessary paperwork for a beer and liquor license.
- Every ounce of hard work that went into 312 Pizza Company shows our dedication to creating long-term relationships with our clients. We hope to continue to work with the Bockmans as they expand their Nashville restaurant empire!
What’s Happening Now
Currently, 312 Pizza Company is expanding by installing an outdoor patio on the premises. In order to serve beer and liquor on the outside portion of the premises, our team obtained a new beer permit for 312 and notified the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission. The patio should be completed and open mid June 2015, just in time for baseball fans to relax with a summer beer and a slice.